I came across this video a little while ago.
It’s one of those videos which makes you appreciate how easy it is to impart knowledge in the most simple of ways. For teachers we refer to it as our
bag of tricks!
Once you’ve been in teaching for a little while, knowing how to present to students so that they really ‘get’ the point of the lesson really becomes second nature.
Teaching becomes so routine, that sometimes, we even forget that we have these skills ‘up our sleeve’!
What am I talking about? Simple teaching skills such as
- Gaining attention by breaking with routine.
- Using silence for optimum results.
- Ensuring words of instruction are minimized.
- Engaging with students at their level.
- Asking pointed question to stimulate thought.
- Utilizing student knowledge to highlight information being shared.
- Injecting humour into the lesson.
- Incorporating physical objects to illustrate a point.
- Exploring alternate teaching styles.
- Allowing students to draw conclusions.
The lesson being imparted in this video is valuable for us all. The point of the lesson is made clearly and strongly.