Living in Melbourne, Australia, I currently work with senior students as a Teacher Librarian in a large co-educational school. Over the last 20+ years I’ve worked in a variety of school libraries indulging in my passion of connecting students and staff with the world of literature. Recent explorations of all things related to the web has ignited in me a new passion and thirst for knowledge. In between constantly exploring, discovering, and experimenting, I often, enthusiastically, share and encourage others to join with me on my learning journey!
Reflecting the evolving story of my learning journey, this blog was begun in April 2010, when enrolled in the VicPLN program – a mentored 12 week online course aimed at developing Web 2.0 skills. Now run through the State Library of Victoria, the online program, Personal Learning Network, is highly recommended as a way of developing and expanding technology skills. Blogging about my learning journey has provided me with a space to reflect on experiences and discoveries unearthed in cyberspace. Join me on my journey so that we can all learn and grow together.
- Social Networking has altered the path of society: the way we behave, learn and interact with each other.
- Students of the 21st Century are digital natives who use mobile web based technology on a daily basis.
- To retain relevancy in the eyes of our students this technology must be embraced and harnessed by educators.
- Taking a risk – discarding fear, inhibitions and hesitation – to embrace the new, leads to previously unimagined feelings of exhilatation and satisfaction.
- To inspire students to read, read and read some more.
- To continue my personal learning journey of all things web based.
- To ignite in other educators my enthusiasm and passion for continued learning.
Blogging: Powerful and Addictive! Education Technology Solutions – Issue 69, December 2015/January 2016
Be Inspired! Learn Online! Education Technology Solutions – Issue 68, October/November 2015
Develop a Personal Learning Network to Inspire Lifelong Learning Education Technology Solutions – Issue 67, August/September 2015
Reinvigorate Professional Learning Programs to Inspire Lifelong Learning! Education Technology Solutions – Issue 66, June/July 2015
Be inspired: Become a lifelong learner! Education Technology Solutions – Issue 65, April/May 2015
Engaging readers: Tried and tested ideas that work. IDIOM – Volume 51, Number 1, April 2015
Inspiring a love of learning among senior school students. INCITE – Volume 36, Issue 3, March 2015
Developing a love of learning in teachers. Pearson – Always Learning – February 2015
Why teachers are irreplaceable! Education Technology Solutions – December 2014
Bridging the divide between Digital Immigrants and Digital Natives. Your say on Education Technology Solutions – November 2014
New tools to engage readers. INCITE – Volume 35, Issue 11/12, November/December 2014
Staging a Literary Festival – It’s not as hard as you think! IDIOM – Volume 50, Number 1, August 2014
Get into online learning in Australian Teacher Magazine. April 24, 2014
Planboard: Time for a different plan Featured blog post on Bright Ideas: Blog by the School Library Association of Victoria and the State Library of Victoria. November 20, 2012
Searching Google with your voice Featured blog post on Bright Ideas: Blog by the School Library Association of Victoria and the State Library of Victoria. November 8, 2012
National Year of Reading at Mentone Grammar (co-authored with Miffy Farquharson) in FYI: Journal of the School Library Association of Victoria. Vol. 16, Number 3, Winter 2012
You can do it: Stage a successful Literary Festival! in FYI: Journal of the School Library Association of Victoria. Vol. 16, Number 3, Winter 2012
instaGrok Featured blog post on Bright Ideas: Blog by the School Library Association of Victoria and the State Library of Victoria. April 26, 2012
If you don’t have a PLN, you don’t know what you’re missing! in Connections Issue 80 February 2012
What’s a good book to read Miss? (Part 2): Any more good books Miss? Guest blog on Bright Ideas: Blog by the School Library Association of Victoria and State Library of Victoria. November 16, 2011
What’s a good book to read Miss? (Part 1) Guest blog on Bright Ideas: Blog by the School Library Association of Victoria and State Library of Victoria. November 14, 2011
10 reasons why Google can’t replace learning in Connections Issue 78 August 2011
Social Networking to Publicize Books on Bright Ideas: Blog of the School Library Association of Victoria. June 8, 2011
The Power of Twitter in TLN (Teacher Learning Network) Journal Vol. 18 No. 1 May 2011
Twittering to my heart’s content reprinted in ASLA (Australian School Library Association of Australia) NSW. Winter 2011
Twittering to my heart’s content in FYI: Journal of the School Library Association of Victoria. Vol. 15, Number 1, Summer 2011
Ponderings of a PLN’er First published online in NovaNews and subsequently published in FYI: Journal of the School Library Association of Victoria. Vol. 14, Number 4, Spring 2010 and in info@alsaNSW: The Newsletter of the Australian School Library Association of New South Wales (Winter 2011)
Feature Blog – Bev Novak’s NovaNews in Bright Ideas: Blog by the School Library Association of Victoria and State Library of Victoria. October 25th, 2010
- Requested in April 2012 by the editor of Bright Ideas to become a regular contributor.
- Interviewed for a feature article: PD News: Presenting, give it a go! in Australian Teacher Magazine. (Now known as Education HQ) March 2012
- Listed in Top 50 Education Tweets of 2011 was a tweet of a NovaNews blog post: 10 Learning Paradigms that can be implemented by Teacher Librarians
Availability for Presentations:
Keen to inspire others to become lifelong learners coupled with an enthusiasm to share all that I have gained through my own learning journey, I am available to present or consult on a range of topics related to my professional passions:
Teachers in Cyberspace: Instilling confidence in new and current teachers and school leaders to discover the joy of learning in the 21st Century by exploring PLNs, online learning and digital tools so that they can become inspired to embrace lifelong learning while actively creating a positive digital footprint in cyberspace.
- Re-thinking Professional Development programs in our schools
- Personal Learning Networks: What they are and how they are created.
- It’s never too late ….. Learning is a lifelong journey!
- Online learning ….. the best thing since sliced bread!
- The joy of learning in the 21st Century: Our online world.
- Blogging: Tips, tricks and how to get started.
- Develop an online presence: Your digital footpring. Keep it clean!
- A Web 2.0 Toolbox – Easy to learn ….. Easy to use!
- Social Networking: A powerful professional tool!
Engaging Readers: Inspiring in teachers and students a love of reading by engaging them in an exciting and stimulating reading community in which previous programs such as literature circles, literary events and literary festivals are reinvented and encompass 21st Century tools and are fired by the infections passion of Teacher Librarians, English Teachers, indeed all educators who collectively reflect the importance of reading as the cornerstone of all academic achievement.
- Repackaging reading for the 21st Century
- Teacher Librarians: Advocates for the power of reading!
- Staging a Literary Fesstival – It’s not as hard as you think!
- Engaging Readers: Rethinking how to do what you’ve always done!
- Passion: The key to inspiring a reading community!
- Get them reading! Using Literature Circles in the classroom.
- Creating a reading community: Ideas to implement.
- Using your school library to help achieve your teaching goals!
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to further discuss your needs.
Engaging readers: Tried and tested ideas that work! and Share your passion by holding a Literary Festival Two presentations at the VATE National Conference. November 27–28th 2014 (Melbourne)
Learning is a lifelong journey – feel empowered; Personal Learning Networks – Transforming and powerful; Engage readers: Stage a Literary Festival; Repackaging reading for the 21st Century Four breakout sessions at The Pearson Learning and Teaching Conference: November 6-8th 2014 (Brisbane)
Personal Learning Networks – A game changer! (Part 1: What’s a PLN and how to create one? Part 2: Start creating your PLN today!) Presentation at schoolstechOZ. September 12th-14th, 2014 (Melbourne)
Stage a Literary Festival: It’s not as hard as you think! Presentation at VATE National Conference. December 6th, 2013
Connect, communicate, collaborate: Develop a PLN today! Presentation at IWBNet Conference: Seventh National Leading a Digital School Conference. August 29 – 31, 2013
It’s never too late …… Learning is a lifelong journey! Presentation at Technology in the Classroom: Conference for Casual Relief Teachers. April 12th, 2012
Web 2.0 Toolbox: Easy to learn ….. Easy to use! Presentation at Teacher Learning Network: ‘Thursday’s with TLN.” September 13th, 2012
Web 2.0 for you too! Presentation at Casual Relief Teachers Conference: IT in the classroom. July 13th 2011
Social Networking to publicise books Presentation at School Library Association of Victoria Conference: Creative Communication: A conference for library technicians and assistants. May 9th 2011
Google+ Bev Novak
LinkedIn: Bev Novak