It’s clear that not everybody is as hooked on Twitter as I am. A lot has been written about its value. Have a read, for example, of an article written about Twitter’s fifth birthday – more than a year ago now – which appeared in The Age: “Who’s laughing now?”.
Alternately, considering yourself to still be a ‘newbie’ and feeling quite reticent, you may well have convinced yourself that lurking is a better way to go. Think again! Just yesterday, I picked up this ‘gem’ Why YOUR Sharing Matters which was mentioned by by Alec Cuuros during a presentation about Personal Learning Networks which was held just yesterday at a conference at the State Library of Victoria. Way to go!! We’ve ALL got lots to share!
But in case you are still trying to determine whether Twitter has something to offer you, consider these points which you may not have yet discovered!
- A supplement to RSS: Yes ….. that’s right! Twitter can supplement your RSS feeder by supplying a constant stream of valuable sites and blogs to read.
- Just 140 characters: That’s all it takes to share a link, an idea or a new thought. It’s short, sharp and quick ….. and in this time poor world, that’s an absolute bonus!
- Better than an RSS Feeder: The links to articles and blogs that you come across on Twitter are recommendations by people you value – those that you follow on Twitter. Because those you follow are like-minded people who follow issues that are of interest to you, the links are guaranteed to be of great value.
- Retweeted tweets highlight the great stuff that is out there. Reading up on links that are retweeted will ensure that limited time is spent well and that information gleaned will be current.
- Break down the social barriers: Twitter is a ‘leveller’. It allows you to ‘rub shoulders’ with people who are at the top of their field. Interact with professors or leaders in your field of interest. Discard usual social inhibitions. Learn and share with experts!
- Discover new blogs & new people: Expand your range of sources of new information. Widen your perspective on issues being explored. At the same time expand the circle of people with whom you mix with in cyberspace.
- Stay up-to-date: Twitter as a social media spreads the word quickly. News and information is spread quickly and widely from one end of the globe to the other. Twitter enables you to be up with the latest.
- Engage and discuss: Twitter is a powerful way to discuss issues with those you follow. Watch discussions between others or join the conversation yourself. It’s a great way to link hands across the globe.
- Help Desk: Don’t know how to do something or want a quick answer to a fact that eludes you? Send out a tweet and you are bound to get an instant answer from anyone of those who follow you.
- Learn and be inspired: Without a doubt, each and every time I scroll through my twitter stream I learn something new. Powerful, exhilarating, enjoyable, mind blowing. Twitter is a cool way to ‘get ahead’ and ‘stay ahead’!
Still not convinced?
Take a couple of minutes to listen to others describe how you can follow your interests and discover your world by using Twitter!